Thomas Jefferson Foundation Chronology
From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
The following is a basic chronology of the Thomas Jefferson Foundation, beginning with its incorporation in 1923.
- The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation purchased Monticello from Jefferson Monroe Levy, whose family had owned the property since 1834.
- The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation officially incorporated in New York City to purchase, preserve, and maintain Monticello as a memorial to Thomas Jefferson and his ideals.
- Stuart G. Gibboney named president of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, and the launching of the Foundation announced at a celebration at the University of Virginia.
- National Jefferson Centennial Committees established.
- "Monticelleans" earned title and lifetime pass for contributions of $1,000 or more.
- "Monticello Papers" sold in Entrance Hall.
- Jefferson Week (April 6-13) observances initiated in schools.
- Spiritual pilgrimage to Monticello held in Grand Central Station, New York.
- Road to entrance of house constructed.
- Repairs to terraces and supporting stone walls begun.
- Roof repaired, house painted, and trees treated by Davey Tree Expert Company.
- Garden Club of America invited to advise on restoration of gardens.
- Fiske Kimball named chairman of restoration committee.
- Local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution provided hostesses (July-October), and Benjamin Carr and Oliver Johnson named guides.
20,091 visitors; $.50 admission fee.
- National Education Committee established to promote restoration of Monticello and to spread Jeffersonian ideals.
- Jefferson birthday celebration held with descendants of signers of Declaration of Independence.
- "Boys" Jefferson Centennial Election with pilgrimage to Monticello.
- "Girls" Jefferson Centennial Election with pilgrimage to Paris
- Centennial Year Programs included: "Patriots' Pledge of Faith" campaign kicked
off by President Calvin Coolidge, and bill signed to create commission for the Sesquicentennial of American Independence and the Thomas Jefferson Centennial Commission of the United States; $35,000 contributed by New York City school children; Shadwell marker erected; "Religious Freedom" fund established by Felix Warburg; Jefferson gig pilgrimage to Philadelphia; Jefferson Centennial Day celebrated July 4th at Monticello.
- The "Monticello Shop" opened in room beneath south terrace.
- Monticello illuminated by the largest search light in the world.
- Great Clock repaired.
- "Redecorating" of first floor completed.
- First mortgage paid off.
- "Patriots' Pledge of Faith" campaign revived for a celebration of Jefferson's
birthday in public schools.
- Plaque unveiled at 57 Maiden Lane in New York City by the Home Insurance Company to commemorate Jefferson's residence there in 1790; event included the
Monticello Guard and Jefferson's gig.
- Fund-raising card party held at the Plaza Hotel in New York City.
- Thomas Edison elected as the first Nation's Guest of Honor by the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation as a tribute to outstanding service in "science, art, education, literature, or government."
- Mulberry Row barn (Jefferson's stable) "restored."
- Stone house on Mulberry Row (superintendent's house) remodeled.
- Plan to celebrate Jefferson's birthday as "religious freedom day" approved by President Herbert Hoover and room at Monticello dedicated to this principle.
- Descendants of Marquis de Lafayette visit Monticello.
- Rear Admiral Richard Byrd elected the second Nation's Guest of Honor
- Celebration of Freedom of the Press Day, and room at Monticello dedicated to this principle.
- Interior of main house painted.
- Financial plight led to refinancing of bonds and an appeal to newspapers and publishers for funds.
- TJMF headquarters on 115 Broadway closed and moved to rent-free space on 70 Pine Street.
- Celebration held with Future Farmers of America, and room dedicated to their ideals.
- The Benevolent Protective Order of Elks donated funds to erect a flag pole.
- Claude Bowers honored as first "modern" biographer of Jefferson.
- The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Commission created by Congress.
- Second floor of Monticello dedicated to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- New entrance-exit road completed with funds from Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Public Roads.
- National Park Service bill proposed to acquire Monticello; federal takeover seen as financially prudent at this time, but advantages of continued private ownership by "public-spirited citizens" gained precedence.
- The Civilian Conservation Corps helped clear woods around Monticello.
- July 4th speech given by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt at Monticello.
- Treillage wallpaper pattern discovered in North Octagonal Room.
- House interior painted based on paint analysis by Milton Grigg, architect.
- The Virginia Emergency Relief Bureau provided free labor for general improvements.
- Curtains, alcove beds, and bedspreads added.
- Restoration of the North Pavilion, dependencies, and terrace begun.
- TJMF officially declared debt-free.
- Garden Club of Virginia provided funds to restore East and West Lawn.
- Resolution introduced in Congress to celebrate the bicentennial of Jefferson's birth.
- South pavilion, dependencies, and terrace restored.
- Reports completed on the reconstruction of the terraces, painting, reinforcing floors, and road construction.
- Funds appropriated for archaeological excavations at Shadwell.
- Administrative offices established at Monticello in the Weaver's Cottage and North Pavilion.
- Marie Kimball named curator.
- ↑ This article is based on Rebecca L. Bowman, "A Chronology," in Celebrating Seventy-Five Years of Preservation and Education: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, 1923-1998 (Charlottesville, Va.: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, 1998.