Ann Cary Randolph Morris
From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
Ann Cary Randolph Morris (1774–1837), born on Tuckahoe Plantation near Richmond, was the eighth child of Ann Cary and Thomas Mann Randolph (Sr.). From childhood Ann was close to her cousin, Martha Jefferson, and the two women corresponded intermittently throughout their lives. Following her mother’s death in March 1789 and her father’s subsequent remarriage in September 1790, Ann took up residence with her sister Judith and family at Bizarre, near Farmville, Virginia. In April 1793 Judith’s husband Richard was accused of "feloniously murdering a child said to be borne of Nancy [Ann] Randolph." Defended by Patrick Henry and John Marshall, he was acquitted of the crime. Ann remained at Bizarre after her brother-in-law’s death in 1796, but was asked to leave in 1805. She returned to Tuckahoe briefly, stayed with friends in the vicinity, visited for extended periods at Monticello, where her brother, Thomas Mann Randolph (Jr.) and her now sister-in-law Martha Jefferson Randolph lived, and then moved on to Richmond. Ann found it difficult to live there on her limited means, however, so she traveled north to Rhode Island and then to Connecticut in hopes of improving her circumstances. Finally, having agreed to work as housekeeper for Gouverneur Morris, whom she had met in 1788, Ann settled at Morrisania in New York in April 1809. In December of that year the two were married and their son Gouverneur Morris Jr. was born in 1813. Ann's husband died in 1816 and she remained at Morrisania, looking after the welfare of their son, until her own death.
- Commonwealth v. Richard Randolph, Cumberland County Order Book, 29 Apr. 1793.
- Crawford, Alan Pell. Unwise Passions: A True Story of a Remarkable Woman and the First Great Scandal of Eighteenth–Century America. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000.
- Kierner, Cynthia A. Scandal at Bizarre: Rumor and Reputation in Jefferson’s America. New York: Palgrave, 2004.
- Nancy Randolph Papers, 1805-1962, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library
College of William and Mary.
- The Virginia Gazette, and General Advertiser, 29 March 1793