From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
Edgehill was the name of the estate of Martha Jefferson Randolph and Thomas Mann Randolph, and it was the home of Jefferson's grandson, Thomas Jefferson Randolph. It was part of a Randolph family inheritance of 2,400 acres near Shadwell belonging to Thomas Mann Randolph's father, Thomas, Sr. When Jefferson's daughter married Thomas Mann Randolph in 1790, they moved to Edgehill, although the family often stayed at Monticello.
The original house was built around 1799. The family lived there until a second larger home was built by Thomas Jefferson Randolph in 1828. In 1836, the family opened up a small school known as the Edgehill School, and the school ran in some form until 1896. In 1916, the original house was gutted by fire to be later rebuilt.
- Olivia Taylor. "Edgehill, 1735-1902." MACH. 30(1972): 61-67.