Elkhill

From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia

(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 09:13, 29 October 2007 (edit)
Anna (Talk | contribs)
m (Elk Island moved to Elkhill: More directly TJ-related.)
← Previous diff
Revision as of 09:20, 29 October 2007 (edit) (undo)
Anna (Talk | contribs)

Next diff →
Line 1: Line 1:
-'''Elk Island'''<ref>This article is based on research notes, "Elk Island", Jefferson Library.</ref> is a long island located in Goochland County, Virginia. It hugs the north shore of the James River from about 2 1/2 miles northwest of Pemberton to 1 1/2 miles east of Columbia. This island, very productive agriculturally, has many Indian artifacts and was patented by John Woodson and Charles Fleming on June 16, 1714.<ref>Patent, Vol. 10:166.</ref> Part of the land was later owned by [[Thomas Jefferson]], who purchased 307 acres in 1778 that included the house owned by John Wayles. On September 21, 1778, Jefferson bought Elk Hill and 307 acres from Henry Skipwith. It was at this Elk Hill that General Cornwallis made his headquarters for a week in June 1781. In 1782, Jefferson purchased 312 adjoining acres, including the grist mill on Byrd Creek. +'''Elkhill''' was a relatively small plantation owned by [[Thomas Jefferson]], located near Elk Island, at the mouth of Byrd Creek in Goochland County. He obtained the land comprising the Elkhill plantation in three different stages:
 +#307 acres
 +#
 +#
 +During the Revolutionary War, Elkhill was occupied for a time by Lord Cornwallis and his troops. Jefferson later related that they had done a great deal of damage:
 +
 +<blockquote></blockquote>
== Footnotes == == Footnotes ==
<references/> <references/>
== Further Sources == == Further Sources ==
-*''Goochland County Historical Society Magazine'', 3(1): 6. +*Weeks, Ellie. "Thomas Jefferson's Elk-Hill." ''Goochland County Historical Society Magazine'', 3(1): 6.
[[Category:Places]] [[Category:Places]]

Revision as of 09:20, 29 October 2007

Elkhill was a relatively small plantation owned by Thomas Jefferson, located near Elk Island, at the mouth of Byrd Creek in Goochland County. He obtained the land comprising the Elkhill plantation in three different stages:

  1. 307 acres

During the Revolutionary War, Elkhill was occupied for a time by Lord Cornwallis and his troops. Jefferson later related that they had done a great deal of damage:

Footnotes

    Further Sources

    • Weeks, Ellie. "Thomas Jefferson's Elk-Hill." Goochland County Historical Society Magazine, 3(1): 6.