Eppington

From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia

(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 13:01, 21 October 2008 (edit)
Bcraig (Talk | contribs)
(Add VA Historic Resources)
← Previous diff
Current revision (13:34, 3 May 2010) (edit) (undo)
ABerkes (Talk | contribs)

 
(3 intermediate revisions not shown.)
Line 1: Line 1:
-[[Image:eppington.jpg|thumb|right|Eppington. [http://www.nps.gov National Park Service]]]+Located along the Appomattox River in Chesterfield County, '''Eppington''' was the Georgian plantation home of [[Mary Jefferson Eppes]] and [[John Wayles Eppes]]. The builder of Eppington, Francis Eppes, was a cousin of [[Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson]]. Following Martha's death in 1782, two of [[Thomas Jefferson]]'s daughters, Maria (Polly) and [[Lucy Jefferson (1782-1784)|Lucy]], lived there with the Eppes family while Jefferson served as minister to France. Tragically, Lucy died at age two in 1784 and was buried at Eppington. In 1797, Polly married Francis Eppes's son, [[John Wayles Eppes]], and made the plantation her home. Jefferson visited Eppington on several occasions, and was at this location when he received a letter from George Washington offering him the position of secretary of state.
-Located along the Appomattox River in Chesterfield County, '''Eppington''' was the Georgian plantation home of [[Mary Jefferson Eppes]] and [[John Wayles Eppes]]. The builder of Eppington, Frances Eppes, was a cousin of [[Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson]]. Following Martha's death in 1782, two of [[Thomas Jefferson|Jeffersons']] daughters, [[Mary Jefferson Eppes|Maria (Polly)]] and Lucy, lived there with the Eppes family while Jefferson served as the minister to France. Tragically, Lucy died at age three in 1785 and was buried at Eppington. In 1797, [[Mary Jefferson Eppes|Polly]] married Frances Eppes's son, [[John Wayles Eppes]], and made the plantation her home. Jefferson visited Eppington on several occasions, and was at this location when he received a letter from [[George Washington]] to become secretary of state. +
The two-and-a-half-story center portion of Eppington was built around 1770 and the one-story wings were added around 1790. The practice of combining several varying sections developed in the third quarter of the 18th century, to break down the dominance of the central block of earlier Virginia houses. The two-and-a-half-story center portion of Eppington was built around 1770 and the one-story wings were added around 1790. The practice of combining several varying sections developed in the third quarter of the 18th century, to break down the dominance of the central block of earlier Virginia houses.
-In 1810, [[Archibald Thweatt]] bought the plantation. In 1989, the Cherry family donated Eppington to Chesterfield County, and the [http://www.chesterfield.gov/HistoricalSociety/default.asp Chesterfield Historical Society] and the [http://www.co.chesterfield.va.us/tourism/eppington.asp Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department] manage nearly 400 acres of the original plantation.+In 1810, [[Archibald Thweatt]] bought the plantation. In 1989, the Cherry family donated Eppington to Chesterfield County, and the Chesterfield Historical Society and the Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department manage nearly 400 acres of the original plantation.
==Further Sources== ==Further Sources==
 +*Chesterfield Historical Society. [http://www.chesterfield.gov/HistoricalSociety/default.asp ''Eppington.'']
*[http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Counties/Chesterfield/020-0025_Eppington_1969_Final_Nomination.pdf Virginia Department of Historic Resources] *[http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Counties/Chesterfield/020-0025_Eppington_1969_Final_Nomination.pdf Virginia Department of Historic Resources]
-*Theobald, Mary Miley. "Eppington." [http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/10830339 ''Colonial Williamsburg.''] Summer 1997: 54-60.+*Theobald, Mary Miley. "Eppington." [http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/10830339 ''Colonial Williamsburg.''] Summer (1997): 54-60.
-*Weaver, Bettie Woodson. [http://tjportal.monticello.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=12639 ''Mary Jefferson and Eppington'']. ''Virginia Cavalcade.'' 19(1969): 30-35.+*Weaver, Bettie Woodson. [http://tjportal.monticello.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=12639 "Mary Jefferson and Eppington"]. ''Virginia Cavalcade.'' 19(1969): 30-35.
[[Category:Places]] [[Category:Places]]

Current revision

Located along the Appomattox River in Chesterfield County, Eppington was the Georgian plantation home of Mary Jefferson Eppes and John Wayles Eppes. The builder of Eppington, Francis Eppes, was a cousin of Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson. Following Martha's death in 1782, two of Thomas Jefferson's daughters, Maria (Polly) and Lucy, lived there with the Eppes family while Jefferson served as minister to France. Tragically, Lucy died at age two in 1784 and was buried at Eppington. In 1797, Polly married Francis Eppes's son, John Wayles Eppes, and made the plantation her home. Jefferson visited Eppington on several occasions, and was at this location when he received a letter from George Washington offering him the position of secretary of state.

The two-and-a-half-story center portion of Eppington was built around 1770 and the one-story wings were added around 1790. The practice of combining several varying sections developed in the third quarter of the 18th century, to break down the dominance of the central block of earlier Virginia houses.

In 1810, Archibald Thweatt bought the plantation. In 1989, the Cherry family donated Eppington to Chesterfield County, and the Chesterfield Historical Society and the Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department manage nearly 400 acres of the original plantation.

Further Sources