Eppington

From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia

(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 08:12, 22 September 2008 (edit)
Bcraig (Talk | contribs)
(New page: Located along the Appomattox River in Chesterfield County, '''Eppington''' was the Georgian plantation home of Mary Jefferson Eppes and John Wayles Eppes. The builder of Eppington,...)
← Previous diff
Revision as of 08:16, 22 September 2008 (edit) (undo)
Bcraig (Talk | contribs)

Next diff →
Line 3: Line 3:
The two-and-a-half-story center portion of Eppington was built around 1770 and the one-story wings were added in about 1790. The practice of combining several varying sections developed in the third quarter of the 18th century, to break down the dominance of the central block of earlier Virginia houses. The two-and-a-half-story center portion of Eppington was built around 1770 and the one-story wings were added in about 1790. The practice of combining several varying sections developed in the third quarter of the 18th century, to break down the dominance of the central block of earlier Virginia houses.
-In 1989, Eppington was donated to Chesterfield County by the Cherry family and the [http://www.chesterfield.gov/HistoricalSociety/default.asp Chesterfield Historical Society] and the [http://www.co.chesterfield.va.us/tourism/eppington.asp Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department] manages nearly 400 acres of the original plantation.+In 1810, [[Archibald Thweatt]] bought the plantation. In 1989, Eppington was donated to Chesterfield County by the Cherry family and the [http://www.chesterfield.gov/HistoricalSociety/default.asp Chesterfield Historical Society] and the [http://www.co.chesterfield.va.us/tourism/eppington.asp Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department] manages nearly 400 acres of the original plantation.
==Further Sources== ==Further Sources==

Revision as of 08:16, 22 September 2008

Located along the Appomattox River in Chesterfield County, Eppington was the Georgian plantation home of Mary Jefferson Eppes and John Wayles Eppes. The builder of Eppington, Frances Eppes, was a cousin of Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson. Following Martha's death in 1782, two of Jeffersons' daughters, Maria (Polly) and Lucy, lived there with the Eppes family while Jefferson served as the minister to France. Tragically, Lucy died at age three in 1785 and was buried at Eppington. In 1797, Polly married Frances Eppes's son, John Wayles Eppes, and made the plantation her home. Jefferson visited Eppington on several occasions, and was at this location when he received a letter from George Washington to become secretary of state.

The two-and-a-half-story center portion of Eppington was built around 1770 and the one-story wings were added in about 1790. The practice of combining several varying sections developed in the third quarter of the 18th century, to break down the dominance of the central block of earlier Virginia houses.

In 1810, Archibald Thweatt bought the plantation. In 1989, Eppington was donated to Chesterfield County by the Cherry family and the Chesterfield Historical Society and the Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department manages nearly 400 acres of the original plantation.

Further Sources

  • Mary Miley Theobald. "Eppington." Colonial Williamsburg. Summer 1997: 54-60.
  • Bettie Woodson Weaver. Mary Jefferson and Eppington. Virginia Cavalcade. 19(1969): 30-35.