Lewis and Clark Expedition
From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
Jefferson commissioned the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1803 to explore the northwest territory in order to observe a transcontinental route and natural resources.
In 1804, about 45 men headed by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark moved up the Missouri River, crossed the Rocky Mountains, and from the Columbia River, reached the Pacific Ocean by November 1805. They returned to St. Louis by September 1806 with great fanfare and important information on native people, plants and animals, and geography (the Rockies destroyed any plans for easy navigation).
- Allen, John Logan. Lewis and Clark and the Image of the American Northwest. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1991.
- Ambrose, Stephen E. Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the West. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1996.
- Chuinard, Eldon G. Only One Man Died: The Medical Aspects of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Glendale, CA: A. H. Clark Co., 1979.
- Cutright, Paul Russell. Lewis and Clark: Pioneering Naturalists. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1989.
- Duncan, Dayton and Ken Burns. Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1997. Available for purchase at Monticello Gift Shop
- Jackson, Donald Dean. Among the Sleeping Giants: Occasional Pieces on Lewis and Clark. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1987.
- Jackson, Donald Dean, ed. Letters of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, with Related Documents, 1783-1854. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1978.
- Jackson, Donald Dean. Thomas Jefferson and the Stony Mountains: Exploring the West from Monticello. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, c1993.
- Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery. VHS. Directed by Ken Burns. Alexandria, VA: PBS Home Video, c1997.
- Moulton, Gary E, ed. The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, c1983-1999.
- Moulton, Gary E, ed. Atlas of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, c1983.
- Plamondon, Martin. Lewis and Clark Trail Maps: A Cartographic Reconstruction. Pullman, WA: Washington State University Press, 2000.
- Ronda, James P. Lewis and Clark among the Indians. Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, c1984.
- Ronda, Jefferson's West. Available for purchase at Monticello Gift Shop
- Ronda, James P. Thomas Jefferson and the Changing West. St. Louis: Missouri Historical Society Press, 1997.
- Ronda, James P., ed. Voyages of Discovery: Essays on the Lewis and Clark Expeditions. Helena, MT: Montana Historical Society Press, 1998.
- Thomas Jefferson Foundation. Expedition Timeline. Monticello.
- Blumberg, Rhoda. The Incredible Journey of Lewis and Clark. New York: Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books, c1987.
- Cavan, Seamus. Lewis and Clark and the Route to the Pacific. New York: Chelsea House Publishers, c1991.
- Stefoff, Rebecca. Lewis and Clark: Explorers of the American West.New York: Chelsea House Publications, 1992.
- Slaughter, Thomas. Re-examining the Lewis and Clark Journals. http://www.monticello.org/streaming/speakers/slaughter.html
- Thomas Jefferson Foundation. Related Links. http://www.monticello.org/jefferson/lewisandclark/links.html