Mary Jefferson Randolph
From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
|Revision as of 10:20, 4 February 2008 (edit)
Bcraig (Talk | contribs)
← Previous diff
|Current revision (10:38, 19 May 2009) (edit) (undo)
ABerkes (Talk | contribs)
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
|*Thomas Jefferson Foundation. ''The Monticello Classroom.'' http://classroom.monticello.org/kids/resources/profile/250/Mary-Jefferson-Randolph-Jeffersons-granddaughter/||*Thomas Jefferson Foundation. ''The Monticello Classroom.'' http://classroom.monticello.org/kids/resources/profile/250/Mary-Jefferson-Randolph-Jeffersons-granddaughter/|
|-||[[Category:Jefferson Family|Randolph, Mary Jefferson]]||+||[[Category:People|Randolph, Mary Jefferson]]|
Mary Jefferson Randolph (1803–1876) was the seventh child of Thomas Mann and Martha Jefferson Randolph. She was born at Edgehill but, like her siblings, spent much of her time at Monticello and occasionally accompanied her grandfather Thomas Jefferson on trips to Poplar Forest. Never marrying, Mary lived at Edgehill, later the home of her older brother Thomas Jefferson Randolph, where she helped her sister-in-law Jane to supervise the household. Mary and her sister Cornelia also visited their other siblings, often serving as nurses during times of sickness. After the Civil War, Mary moved to Alexandria, Virginia, to live with two of her sisters at the home of her niece Martha Jefferson Trist Burke. She remained there until her death.
- Betts, Edwin Morris and James Adam Bear, Jr., The Family Letters of Thomas Jefferson (Charlottesville: Univ. Press of Virginia, 1995), 394
- Malone, Dumas. The Sage of Monticello (Boston: Little, Brown & Company, 1981), 291
- Shackelford,Descendants, 1:151–3.
- Thomas Jefferson Foundation. Family Letters Project. http://familyletters.dataformat.com
- Thomas Jefferson Foundation. The Monticello Classroom. http://classroom.monticello.org/kids/resources/profile/250/Mary-Jefferson-Randolph-Jeffersons-granddaughter/