From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
The mountain that Thomas Jefferson named Montalto is a part of the Carter's Mountain range and is today sometimes known as Brown's Mountain. In 1777, Jefferson purchased 483 acres of land on the mountain from Edward Carter, the second son of John Carter, who had received the land from King George II as his Colonial Secretary. Jefferson never built anything on Montalto, although he did draw plans for an observation tower there. Following Jefferson's death, the land was inherited by his daughter Martha Jefferson Randolph. In 1832, Montalto was sold to Benjamin Sneed, and subsequently passed through numerous owners.
In 1905, the land was purchased by James Addison Patterson, who began construction of the house and barns, designed by architect Charles Barton Keen. The house was named “Repose”, and upon Patterson's death in 1931, was bequeathed to the Martha Jefferson Hospital, who rented portions of it out.
In 1950, the property was purchased by Lois and Nelson Brown, for whom it is now named. The Brown family renovated the house and made minor additions. In the 1950s, the Brown's operated a gift shop out of the barn, until it burned in 1959. After that time, the remaining barns were rented as apartments. In the early 1970s, the Brown's sold the property, which is today owned by the Thomas Jefferson Foundation.
1771. Jefferson took steps to acquire the mountain he would call High Mountain and Montalto. In exchange for legal services for Edward Carter (docking the entail of the Carter lands), Jefferson was to receive "as much of his nearest mountain as can be seen from mine, and 100 yds. beyond the lines of sight agreed before Capt. Burton."
1776 Sep. 15. Jefferson took a barometric reading on the summit of Montalto, in order to calculate its elevation.
1777 Oct. 17. Jefferson became legal owner of 483 acres of Montalto.
1778 Nov. 5. Jefferson considered enclosing 400 acres of Montalto with a stone wall.
1770s, probably post Nov. 1778. Jefferson prepared several designs for structures planned for the summit of Montalto: observation towers 100' high, a 200' column. None were ever constructed.
1796. Jefferson gave Nicholas H. Lewis 12.5 acres of Montalto in exchange for 27.5 acres on Monticello's western boundary.