Mulberry Row

From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia

(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 11:47, 8 October 2008 (edit)
Bcraig (Talk | contribs)
m
← Previous diff
Current revision (08:28, 7 May 2009) (edit) (undo)
ABerkes (Talk | contribs)
(removed internal link from further sources)
 
(One intermediate revision not shown.)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:mulberry.jpg|thumb|right|Mulberry Row during excavation]] [[Image:mulberry.jpg|thumb|right|Mulberry Row during excavation]]
-Named for the mulberry trees planted along it, '''Mulberry Row''' was the center of plantation activity at Monticello from the 1770s to [[Thomas Jefferson|Jefferson's]] death in 1826. Jefferson's original plan for the site was a 400-foot-long row of shops and yards joined structurally so as to look like a single building. There, iron and [[Joinery|woodworking]] facilities and areas for raising [[poultry]] and slaughtering livestock would serve as a link between the plantation at large and the domestic operations, like kitchen, dairy, and smokehouse, that Jefferson planned for the dependency wings attached to the main house.+Named for the mulberry trees planted along it, '''Mulberry Row''' was the center of plantation activity at Monticello from the 1770s to [[Thomas Jefferson|Jefferson's]] death in 1826. Jefferson's original plan for the site was a 400-foot-long row of shops and yards joined structurally so as to look like a single building. There, iron and [[Joinery|woodworking]] facilities and areas for raising [[Poultry|poultry]] and slaughtering livestock would serve as a link between the plantation at large and the domestic operations, like kitchen, dairy, and smokehouse, that Jefferson planned for the dependency wings attached to the main house.
-Thirty years, passed, however, before Jefferson was able to execute his wing plans for Monticello, so that Mulberry Row became the site of an assortment of mainly temporary structures serving both the 5,000-acre plantation and the house. In 1796, when Jefferson had temporarily retired from public office, there were seventeen structures along the 1,000-foot-long Row. These included dwellings for black and white workers, wood and ironworking (including the [[Nailmaking|nailery]]) shops, a smokehouse and dairy, a wash house, storehouses, and a stable.+Thirty years, passed, however, before Jefferson was able to execute his wing plans for Monticello, so that Mulberry Row became the site of an assortment of mainly temporary structures serving both the 5,000-acre plantation and the house. In 1796, when Jefferson had temporarily retired from public office, there were seventeen structures along the 1,000-foot-long Row. These included dwellings for black and white workers, wood and ironworking (including the [[Nailmaking|nailery]]) shops, a smokehouse and dairy, a [[Laundry|wash house]], storehouses, and a stable.
==Further Sources== ==Further Sources==
-*Dwelling descriptions at the [http://www.monticello.org/plantation/mulberry/index.html Monticello Website]+*Dwelling descriptions on the [http://www.monticello.org/plantation/mulberry/index.html Monticello Website]
*[http://explorer.monticello.org/index.html?s1=1|s3=88|s4=|mp=4|tp=1 Monticello Explorer] *[http://explorer.monticello.org/index.html?s1=1|s3=88|s4=|mp=4|tp=1 Monticello Explorer]
*[http://www.monticello.org/archaeology/mulberryrow/index.html Monticello Archaeology Mulberry Row Reassessment] *[http://www.monticello.org/archaeology/mulberryrow/index.html Monticello Archaeology Mulberry Row Reassessment]
-*[[:Category:Slavery]] 
[[Category:Places]] [[Category:Places]]

Current revision

Mulberry Row during excavation
Mulberry Row during excavation

Named for the mulberry trees planted along it, Mulberry Row was the center of plantation activity at Monticello from the 1770s to Jefferson's death in 1826. Jefferson's original plan for the site was a 400-foot-long row of shops and yards joined structurally so as to look like a single building. There, iron and woodworking facilities and areas for raising poultry and slaughtering livestock would serve as a link between the plantation at large and the domestic operations, like kitchen, dairy, and smokehouse, that Jefferson planned for the dependency wings attached to the main house.

Thirty years, passed, however, before Jefferson was able to execute his wing plans for Monticello, so that Mulberry Row became the site of an assortment of mainly temporary structures serving both the 5,000-acre plantation and the house. In 1796, when Jefferson had temporarily retired from public office, there were seventeen structures along the 1,000-foot-long Row. These included dwellings for black and white workers, wood and ironworking (including the nailery) shops, a smokehouse and dairy, a wash house, storehouses, and a stable.

Further Sources