From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia

Revision as of 16:22, 16 July 2007 by JRobertson (Talk | contribs)

Tufton farm was one of Thomas Jefferson’s quarter farms and borders the Monticello plantation. The land was originally patented by Jefferson’s father, Peter Jefferson, as two separate tracts of 150 acres each, in 1740 and 1755.[1] Thomas Jefferson inherited Tufton and later gave it to his daughter, Martha Jefferson Randolph.[2] Tufton served as important agricultural land, providing large amounts of crops and food sources for the Monticello plantation. Beginning in 1817, Tufton was managed by Jefferson’s grandson, Thomas Jefferson Randolph.[3]

Sometime in the late eighteenth century, a log cabin was built on the property. Thomas Jefferson Randolph built a stone house in the first quarter to the nineteenth century, and a subsequent owner, Thomas Seldon Macon, added a brick addition to the stone structure in the second quarter of the nineteenth century.[4]

Today, Tufton houses the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants.


  1. Thomas Jefferson’s Farm Book: With Commentary and Relevant Extracts from Other Writings, Edwin Morris Betts, ed. (Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, Inc, 1999), 32.
  2. Virginia Historical Inventory website, Virginia Historical Inventory search 'Tufton'.
  3. Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello, Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc. (Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 2002), 169.
  4. K. Edward Lay, The Architecture of Jefferson Country: Charlottesville and Albemarle County, Virginia, (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 2000), 189.